WLS:MP is designed for medical professionals of all levels (MD, EMT, PA, NP, RN, etc) that have an interest in expanding their knowledge of wilderness medicine pathology and enhancing their practical skills in a wilderness environment. WLS:MP courses are designed for all types of outdoor enthusiasts, from the casual day hike to the extended expedition.
Our hybrid format covers materials otherwise taught in lecture format, using an innovative learning platform designed to learn along with the user. Instead of reading powerpoint slides, students will engage in online modules that give feedback, test understanding, and increase long term retention. As a result, students will arrive to the in person portion of the class better prepared, allowing for focus on the application of the material covered.
During this online and 8 day in-person course, students will learn the latest wilderness medicine skills for patient assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and evacuation. Our expert instructors employ a wide scope of teaching methods, balancing online didactic lectures with practical, hands-on skills and scenarios. Emphasis is placed not just on the materials learned, but the critical decision making skills surrounding effective backcountry medical management.
Upon course completion, students will earn the WLS:MP certification, valid four years, and be eligible for up to 24.5 hours of Category 1 CME and Wilderness Medical Society Fellowship (FAWM) credit.
For more information and to register, click here.
Experience the epic natural beauty of Patagonia! This adventure will take you through Los Glaciares National Park in Argentina and Torres del Paine National Park in Chile, two of the world’s most iconic mountain landscapes. Along the way, spot South America’s most majestic animals in their natural habitat – condors, guanacos and possibly pumas – walk amongst dense forests and pristine landscapes, and enjoy mesmerizing views of the peaks of mountains towering more than 6,000 meters above sea level.
This 8 day trip includes:
- 3 nights in EcoCamp’s Standard Domes, Torres del Paine National Park
- 2 nights at Hotel Los Senderos (or similar), El Chaltén
- 2 night at Hostería Los Hielos (or similar), El Calafate
- All EcoCamp Patagonia excursions as indicated in the itinerary
- From EcoCamp: all private transport included in excursions
- Transfer from Chile to Argentina
- Shared transfers and excursions in Argentina
- English speaking guide for all excursions
- All national park entrance fees
- Boat crossing ticket over Grey Lake and/or Pehoe Lake
- Nautical Safari to Perito Moreno Glacier
- Chile: Full board, including breakfast, box lunch on excursions and dinner (water or wine included at dinner)
- Argentina: Breakfast and Lunch/Box Lunch
The materials below above are covered via online and in person didactic lecture, small group discussion, practical skills sessions, and live scenarios. Each topic will describe pathology, treatment, prevention, and provide evacuation guidelines necessary for high quality patient care. This curriculum is continually reviewed for best practice and the most up to date guidelines.
The WLS:MP curriculum consists of:
- Patient Assessment
- Medical Problems
- Infectious Disease
- Head, Ear, Eye, Nose, Throat, Skin
- Animal & Insect Bites
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Wound management
- Water treatment
- Hypothermia & frostbite
- Medical kits
- Altitude Illness: AMS/HAPE/HACE
- Dive Medicine
Along with the WLSL:MP certification, students are able to earn up to 24.5 hours of AMA PRA Category 1 CME, as well as Wilderness Medical Society Fellowship credit. To confirm that these credits are applicable to your specific medical designation, inquire with your governing body. Please note that the CME credit hours differ for traditional in-person courses and hybrid courses.