Mountain Bike Medicine Morning Course| Janesville, WI
Our Mountain Bike Medicine course is designed to provide an individual with an introduction to wilderness medicine and the basic skills to treat the most common injuries and illnesses encountered in the wilderness. This program is appropriate for any Level 2 or 3 NICA Coach seeking to fulfill their required first aid training.
This Mountain Bike Medicine course requires approximately 4+ hours of online coursework. Following the completion of the online material, a student will be eligible to attend the ~5 hours of hands-on training. After taking this course you will be familiar with some of the most common backcountry problems, and the NICA-specific policies regarding the rendering of first aid care.
Upon course completion, students will earn both the Mountain Bike Medicine Certification and CPR/BLS plus AED certifications, both of which are valid for two years.
The materials below above are covered via online and in-person didactic lectures, small group discussions, practical skills sessions, and live scenarios. Each topic will describe pathology, treatment, prevention, and provide evacuation guidelines necessary for high-quality patient care. This curriculum is continually reviewed for best practices and the most up-to-date guidelines.
The Mountain Bike Medicine curriculum includes, but is not limited to topics such as:
- Patient Assessment (Scene Size-up, Primary Survey, Secondary Survey)
- Airway Management
- Vital Sign Interpretation
- Bleeding and Shock
- Abdominal and Chest Injuries
- Fractures & Dislocations, Improvised Splinting
- Wound and Burn Management (bandaging)
- Head and Spine Injuries, Spinal Motion Restriction
- Lightning Injuries and Prevention
- Medical Problems in the Wilderness
- Hypothermia & Cold-Related Illness/Injury
- Heat-Related Illness
- Evacuation Guidelines