Water Disinfection and Hydration
This online module is designed for outdoor professionals, enthusiasts, or for anyone interested in learning more about this topic. This course is NOT eligible for CME or FAWM.
Water treatment is often taken for granted in front country settings. In the wilderness, however, there are a variety treatment methods available to make make water safe for human consumption. In this module, you will learn how to treat water and minimize the risk of illness caused by its ingestion.
The purpose of this module is to help you develop a process that will allow you to overcome obstacles and provide the patient(s) with the appropriate care.
Upon completion, students should be able to:
- Describe various waterborne pathogens that may cause illness
- Describe techniques involved in water purification
- Describe methods and limitations in water disinfection
- Understand the concept of basic hygiene and how it relates to ways to minimize gastrointestinal illness
- Learn to recognize and prevent/treat dehydration