Hybrid WFA- Galapagos Private Yacht Cruise
Our Wilderness First Aid course is designed to provide an individual with an introduction to wilderness medicine and the basic skills to treat the most common injuries and illnesses encountered in the wilderness. This program is appropriate for entry-level professional guides and other non-medical people who want a basic understanding of wilderness medicine.
After taking this course you will be familiar with some of the most common backcountry problems. You’ll have some limited practice in evaluating, treating, and evacuating injured persons in wilderness settings. You’ll start to get a feel for what situations require medical assistance.
Upon course completion, students will earn both the WFA and CPR/BLS plus AED certifications, which are valid for two years.
Interested in the adventure but looking for CME? MedTreks is also offering a WLS:MP class on this trip. Click here to learn more.
This WFA course/adventure with Med Treks International on a private chartered yacht trip of a lifetime, exploring the spectacular archipelago of the Galapagos. With our wonderful local, professional guides, we will get a chance to witness the unique flora and fauna that make the Galapagos Islands, a naturalist’s paradise.
- Seven night cruise: exploring 9 different Galapagos islands. Show up in Ecuador, we take care of the rest for you!
- Private Chartered Yacht: Avoid the crowds, sail through the archipelago in the company of new friends! Our 16 person private yacht is a perfect opportunity to have an up close experience with the island life.
- Fun, Expert Led wilderness medicine: Learn from world-class faculty, on topics of Wilderness Medicine taught in the evenings over Happy Hour. Allowing you to fully enjoy the days activities.
- Galapagos Exploration: Discover the unique flora and fauna, guided by local, friendly experts who know the islands inside and out.
- Small Groups: Benefit from personalized attention and camaraderie in a boutique setting, ideal for networking and in-depth learning.
- Gourmet Food: Savor delicious meals prepared fresh and locally sourced by an onboard chef, including options that cater to dietary restrictions and preferences.
- Wellness & Adventure Focus: While there is plenty of time to rest and lounge on the yacht, this trip also includes options for sunrise yoga and hiking throughout the islands.
- Water Activities: Make the most of the aquatic paradise with optional snorkeling, kayaking, and paddle-boarding! All gear is provided.
The materials below are covered via didactic lectures, small group discussions, practical skills sessions, and live scenarios. Each topic will describe pathology, treatment, and prevention, and provide evacuation guidelines necessary for high-quality patient care. This curriculum is continually reviewed for best practices and the most up-to-date guidelines.
The WFA curriculum includes, but is not limited to topics such as:
- Patient Assessment Scene Size-up, Primary Survey, Secondary Survey
- Bleeding and Shock
- Abdominal and Chest Injuries
- Wound and Burn Management (bandaging)
- Fractures & Dislocations, Improvised Splinting
- Head and Spine Injuries, Spinal Motion Restriction
- Near Drowning
- Lightning Injuries and Prevention
- Heat-Related Illness
- Medical Problems in the Wilderness
- Bites and Stings
- Hypothermia & Cold-Related Illness/Injury
- Evacuation Guidelines
- Water Disinfection and Hydration
- Improvised Litters & Carries